Wednesday, April 25, 2007

a job well done and a pleasant surprise...

Earlier today, my Boss from my part-time job asked me to come to his office to help him find some articles that he has been missing. We did not find the exact article but we did find the notes he made for that article, plus we found what he thinks is the draft of a book that he was writing (one that he thought he lost when his old house burned down). Needless to say, though we were not totally successful in our quest, finding his "treasure" made him happy.

He then told me to attend the class he's having because he wanted me to do some research for our fellows. He wasn't very clear as to what I'm supposed to be researching about, he said it will be discussed during the class as the fellows needed to choose a topic to concentrate on. It was 10:50 am and he told me to be there by 11:15 am... I am in a rush because I had just misplaced my keys and needed to grab one of our maintenance guys to let me back in the library.

When I got there, everyone was there. No, it did not ring any alarm bells in my mind as I thought it was a "research class" he's conducting that day. He asked where our secretary was and I told him I saw her heading to the next building to get our mail. So we waited till she got back. Meanwhile, he was showing the Roscharch Inkblot Cards to our fellows and was successfully fooling me that they were indeed having a class. Finally our secretary walked in.

Suddenly, everyone was quiet. It was such a great surprise when he said that we were all gathered there to say thank you to none other than... me and the secretary for a job very well done. To top this, we each received flowers, a card and a gift certicate (Cheesecake Factory, yum! the kids will be very happy;p ). Both of us were not expecting this and we felt so lucky that we found a Boss and co-workers who appreciate what we do.

Snatches of messages they wrote:


"... How nice for us to have our invaluable collection in such caring hands."


"I need to tell you how much I appreciate/respect your work with us..."


"Who could be successful without you?... My hearfelt thanks for your expertise and friendship."


"It can sometimes feel like a lonely isolated job being a librarian. You made it anything but that..."


At the end of the day, it was indeed a job very well done...

3 comments:

Heart of Rachel said...

What a lovely gesture to show appreciation. You're blessed to have a wonderful boss you goes to extra lengths to thank you for a job well done.

soul-seeker said...

Congrats! :)

maria said...

Thanks, Diana. Always good to be appreciated.

Rachel - small things like these makes my day... my kids enjoyed the GC (they got Oreo Cheesecake), they even got me a slice of Kahlua Cocoa Coffee Cheesecake