Monday, June 09, 2008

a little catching up

Time flies when you're having fun... or not. It's been awhile since I posted anything, been longer since I've actually sat down and wrote anything that has some semblance of sense in it. I guess sometimes that cannot be helped.

I have been somewhat busy, and just plain lazy the rest of the time. To recap some of what I've been doing...

- Got accepted at San Jose State University for the MLIS program. It's finally a "go" since I've been granted a loan to cover almost all of my expenses. Am a little anxious about going back to school after so many years of "inactivity". I think my mind is in that perpetual state of laziness so I need a really good jolt to get it going again. A shame that all that hard work when I was still in the Phil go to waste... but no sense in crying over spilled milk.

- Started going to Curves... need exercise to strengthen my core muscle to alleviate my low back pain. No, I did not sign up for a regular membership, still am not sure if it's going to work out for me. They gave me advise on eating healthy, but so far the only thing that accomplished was to mess up my digestion. Had to see my doctor last Friday because something's not right. Was told that although it is good to eat a low fat, low calorie diet, I should not go to the extremes and just change my diet drastically. Though I have some amount of fat stored up, I am not overweight and am exactly at the middle of the normal range, plus my weight has not really changed in the past year. No raw vegetables... which sounds quite odd if I am aiming for a low fat/calorie diet since most of my vegetables come from salads. Oh well, I've always said that diet is not for me...

- I've started reading again and finished 3 novels in one week. I should keep this up, might need to practice speed reading since I've been told that the MLIS program requires a lot of reading... hopefully I don't fall asleep trying to read those articles ;p

- Am trying to do more home-cooking. But I think this is not a very good idea. My son has gained some weight and he's told me that it's because he tends to eat more when I cook. Isn't that flattering? I cook and they eat. I am trying to find recipes that are at least a bit healthier than Filipino food (no offense, but we do tend to eat rich)... good luck to that.

- Have to start on my project again... I've put it aside for too long and it's now June. Hopefully, with everything else going on, I can have that done in time for Christmas... yeah, yeah, I know I have half the year.

- Finished painting the kitchen, well, sort of. There's a tiny patch that's out of my reach that needs to be painted, other than that, we now have a periwinkle shade for the walls and a really cool green for the cabinets. The floors have also been redone.

That seems to be all, though there were tiny details omitted. In all, everything's great with some drawbacks... which is what life is all about.

0 comments: