Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sunday Scribblings #80


I just found this blog and would like to try my hand at it.

What it is: Sunday Scribblings was set up to provide inspiration and motivation for anyone who enjoys writing and would like a weekly challenge.

How it works?
* Every Saturday (or thereabouts!) we'll post a writing prompt. (No, not on Sunday because then you can post your writing on Sunday!)
* You create a piece of writing inspired by that writing prompt.
* You post your writing on your blog and leave a comment here to let us know you have participated. (Please try to leave us the perma-link to the actual post if you can!)
* We'll publish the links here for people to follow and read!

I will be starting at #80 - First Job, Worst Job, Dream Job

First real job... one that I regularly get paid for, was for a pharmaceutical company. It was a full-time, temp job, classified as "auxiliary promotions". As the title implied, it was to promote a newly released drug (high dose antibiotics). My job was like a typical medical representative, without the pressure of having to make a quota. I loved this job. I met a lot of interesting people, made a lot of friends and got to visit places I've never been to. The best part was when you get to sit down and talk to the doctors at length (at times, not even job related), and to the patients, somewhat sharing their lives for a short while.

I don't think I have one that qualifies for the worst job. In a way I guess I've been lucky. I did move around quite a bit, sort of trying to find my niche in society. I've worked mostly in my own field of interest which is library science, so yep, I am a librarian, through and through. Did some consulting jobs, was an assistant and moved to being head librarian. I got to work in different kinds of libraries too, from public, private, non-profit orgs, and school libraries. I think I enjoyed school libraries the most, not only because I have a lot to do everyday, but I also get to teach kids what fun libraries are. It's always heartwarming to see a kid find joy in sitting down quietly in one corner and read.

All that changed when I uprooted myself from my comfort zone and moved to the United States. Here, I got to try all sorts of jobs, from activities coordinator in a retirement home, to a receptionist/all around office person, customer service and even a tiny bit of accounting, before finally landing where I am right now... yep! you guessed right, in a library. I love working in a library. Aside from the obvious quiet environment, I get to read to my hearts content, surf the web, learn new things and help my always seemingly lost students.

As for my dream job? Hmmm... I don't really know, simply because I haven't even started going that way. I would eventually like to take up a course in culinary arts, not only because we (everyone in the family), love to eat, but also because I love trying new things in the kitchen. As with everything else, not all endeavors turn out right, but hey! I can always try again. So, the dream job? maybe a chef? but it has to be my own business. That way, I also get to be the boss :)

0 comments: